We understand the days seem longer and the motivation is at its lowest but moving your body is a fantastic way to increase your mood, destress and improve your overall health. So we’ve come up with a few ways to help trick yourself into working out.
- Schedule your fitness in. Choose a time or set an alarm at the beginning of the day of when you can fit in exercise, such as a walk, and stick to it!
- Organise a phone call with a friend or family member and both walk at the same time.
- Start with something easy and if you feel up to it, challenge yourself. For example, start with a walk and only run at 500m intervals, if you want to keep running, great! If not, you still moved your body and that’s something to be proud of.
- Wake up and instead of putting your trackies on put your gym clothes on!
- Challenge a friend, track your steps or how many KMs you do each day for a week or two. There are great apps to help track this such as Strava, Nike and if you have an Apple Watch you can add a friend and do a 7-day move challenge.
- Make your workouts shorter, a 20-minute workout is better than none!
- Do it for a cause, Steptember is a great way to get yourself moving through walking, running, swimming, wheeling or cycling! Learn more about the program here.
- Make a playlist of all your favourite pump-up tunes and listen to it full blast while getting ready to spark your motivation.
- Watch TV and use the commercials for your workout intervals.
- Team up with your family or housemates to join in on a workout and take turns on who is in charge of the workout by choosing the activity and running it for everyone.
Try them out and see how you go!